Are you tired of competitors outranking you on Google? Do you want to be on the first page of search engine results but can’t afford to pay a high-priced SEO wizard or black hatter to improve your rankings? It is easy to improve your business’ search engine optimisation if you are willing to use a little common sense. Check out the following seven common sense SEO tips to see which ones will help improve your company’s SERP score:
1) Consider using video for customer reviews on your site. Ask customers to send you a quick video review if they like your product/service, or convert a text-based review into video. It’s easy to make a simple 30-second video using text on a coloured backdrop with royalty-free music. Video keeps eyeballs on your site longer, thus improving your time-on-site ratio. Make a habit of considering video instead of text each time you plan to post new content to your site; you are likely to see improved search engine rankings as a result of your efforts.
2) Don’t overlook the potential of location-specific data on your website or blog. Search engines like Google want to send searchers to the most relevant websites; location data is playing an increasingly important role, especially for mobile searchers. Make it easy for search engines to find you by offering location data on multiple pages throughout your site.
3) Image search is more important than ever. Never create content on your site without images and make sure your image tags are optimised for maximum SEO efficiency. This goes for images you share on social media too. SMO and SEO for images are crucial; don’t waste the opportunity to send potential new eyeballs to your site by treating images like throwaway content.
4) Check your site for broken links on a regular basis. There are a number of Chrome extensions like Check My Links that make it easy to find/repair/remove broken links. Don’t give search engines a reason to penalise your site for faulty outbound links.
5) Don’t create the same content everyone else in your sector is offering. Pay attention to the keywords your target audience is using and the voice search phrases they’re likely asking on their mobile devices; create content specific to their needs and you’ll soon become a trusted source of valuable information. Use long-tail keyword phrases and target specific niches when creating blog posts for your site.
6) Google now indexes tweets. Be strategic with the content you tweet by incorporating your business’ targeted keywords into your tweets.
7) Consider incorporating more embedded social media content on your site. Embed anything from tweets to Facebook or Pinterest posts. Not only will you be adding fresh content (which search engines love), you’ll be increasing the social media interaction potential of your site.
What a winning combination, right? You don’t have to be a SEO guru to improve the potential of your website or blog. Sometimes it just takes good old common sense to improve your site’s ranking. How many of the above-listed search engine optimisation tips will you be incorporating into your brand building strategy this year?